2023 Toyota 4Runner Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $40,140 MSRP*
- 4.0-Liter DOHC 24-Valve V6 with Dual Independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) (270 horsepower / 278 lb-ft of torque)
- Optional part-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
- Audio with eight speakers, Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Available perforated leather-trimmed heated and ventilated power front seats
- 50/50 split fold-flat third-row seat and sliding second row with passenger-side one-touch access to third-row seat
- Optional Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), Multi-terrain Select, and Crawl Control (CRAWL)
- Available TRD Pro trim featuring TRD FOX® high-performance shocks with rear remote reservoirs
About the Toyota 4Runner
Legendary 4X4 off-road capability, rugged body-on-frame construction, and proven V6 engine performance combine to produce a ride that’s tough enough for the trails yet smooth enough for the city. The iconic Toyota 4Runner helps you carry your biggest toys along for your weekend adventure with a 5,000-pound maximum towing capacity (when properly equipped).
Helping your crew reach the campsite in total comfort and style, the interior of the 4Runner is both spacious and well-appointed. Since every journey has its own unique demands, an optional sliding rear cargo deck gives you quick access to your gear. You’ll be able to bring tech to every outing with the optional Premium Audio with Dynamic Navigation featuring JBL® Audio with Clari-Fi technology. Whether you’re headed downtown or across the country, you can trust the Toyota 4Runner to tackle any obstacle that stands between you and a memorable weekend.
What the Critics Say
What’s New for 2023
2023 is the 40th anniversary of the 4Runner’s debut, and one of the only changes for 2023 is the release of the 40th Anniversary Edition. It comes with exclusive 17-inch bronze-colored alloy wheels and some exterior graphics inspired by the kind you would have seen in 1983. There is 40th Anniversary interior badging, and further logos on the headrests and floormats. The stitching on the seats and shift knob is done in the same bronze color as the wheels. Only 4,040 will be built. The Trail Special Edition has been dropped from the lineup to make room for the 40th Anniversary Edition, and last year’s TRD Pro-exclusive Electric Lime Metallic paint option has been replaced with an orange called Solar Octane. Blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert have now been made standard on every trim.
Toyota 4Runner Features
Every trim level of the Toyota 4Runner features its own distinctive look. TRD Off-Road trims stand out with unique features including 17-inch 7-spoke alloy wheels with black painted inserts and TRD badging on the exterior. Perfect for drivers craving additional refinement, 4Runner Limited models feature exclusive front fascia, chrome door handles and front grille, and stylish 20-inch split 6-spoke alloy wheels. Complementing the rugged design of the 4Runner, LED headlights and LED taillights add a touch of style while giving you superior visibility. On all 4X4 models, skid plates help protect the engine/front suspension, fuel tank, and transfer case from damage when traveling across rough terrain.
Even the most inhospitable terrain is no match for the Toyota 4Runner. An approach angle of 33 degrees, a departure angle of 26 degrees, and a massive 9.6 inches of ground clearance on the 4Runner TRD Off-Road means that you’ll always be prepared for whatever obstacle stands in your way. Available Multi-terrain Select lets you choose from four individual modes which can regulate wheelspin and brake pressure for maximized traction in all sorts of off-road situations. The optional Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) and Crawl Control (CRAWL) give you improved stability in low-speed, technical maneuvers on the trails.
Although the 4Runner offers a commanding exterior appearance, the interior is packed with exceptional refinement with features like optional SofTex® or perforated leather seating. 40/20/40 fold-flat second-row seats help create up to 88.8 cubic feet of storage space or to help you carry a mix of cargo and passengers. A class-exclusive feature, the power rear window of the 4Runner lowers for quick access to the cargo area or to help bring fresh air into the cabin. Conveniently located in the cargo area, a 120V AC power outlet lets you keep all of your electronic devices charged up. The 4Runner also includes an intuitive and user-friendly instrument panel design that places controls and gauges right at your fingertips.
With the available Smart Key in your pocket or purse, the interior of the Toyota 4Runner Limited automatically illuminates, the doors and rear liftgate open with the touch of a handle, and the engine stands with the press of a button. Since every trip should have the soundtrack to match it, the available 15-Speaker JBL® Audio System lets you enjoy your favorite tunes with outstanding clarity and depth. Optional Dynamic Navigation ensures that you’ll always arrive at your destination safely and on time. All Toyota 4Runner models come standard with Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility to let you access your favorite apps and media with your compatible smartphone.
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $40,140 MSRP*
- 4.0-Liter DOHC 24-Valve V6 with 270 horsepower / 278 lb-ft of torque
- Rear-Wheel Drive or part-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
- Backup camera with projected path
- Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Downhill Assist Control (DAC) (4×4 models only) and Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Starting at $43,000 MSRP*
- TRD Sport exterior badging
- TRD gray lettering on driver and front passenger headrests
- TRD shift knob
- SofTex®-trimmed seats
- Black roof rails
- Starting at $43,200 MSRP*
- SofTex®-trimmed power-adjustable heated front seats
- Optional power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade
- Heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators
- Available sliding rear cargo deck with under-floor storage box
- HomeLink® universal transceiver
- Starting at $42,350 MSRP*
- Part-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), Multi-terrain Select and Crawl Control (CRAWL)
- 17-inch 7-spoke alloy wheels with P265/70R17 tires and black-painted accents
- TRD shift knob and TRD Off-Road floor mats
- Color-keyed front and rear bumpers with silver accents and color-keyed hood scoop
TRD Off-Road Premium
- Starting at $46,565 MSRP*
- “TRD” red lettering on driver and front passenger headrests
- SofTex®-trimmed 40/20/40 split reclining and fold-flat second-row seat
- Optional Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS)
- Heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
40th Anniversary Special Edition
- Starting at $47,705 MSRP*
- 17-in. bronze-colored alloy wheels
- Heritage “TOYOTA” front color-keyed grille
- Bronze-colored “40th Anniversary” rear exterior badge and interior emblem on dash
- Unique racing-inspired tri-color striped graphics
- 40th Anniversary Special Edition logo embossed on driver and front passenger headrests
- Starting at $49,375 MSRP*
- X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension
- 20-inch split 6-spoke alloy wheels
- Perforated leather-trimmed heated and ventilated front seats
- Smart Key System with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry
- Front and rear parking assist sonar
- Starting at $54,605 MSRP*
- TRD Bilstein® high-performance shocks with rear remote reservoirs
- TRD-tuned front springs and locking rear differential
- Black “TRD PRO” external hard badges and unique “TOYOTA” front grille
- TRD-stamped aluminum front skid plate
- TRD 17-inch matte-black alloy wheels
*MSRP includes the Delivery, Processing, and Handling Fee of $1,095 for Cars (GR86, Avalon, Avalon HV, Camry, Camry HV, Corolla, Corolla HV, Corolla HB, GR Corolla, Mirai, Prius, Prius Prime, GR Supra), $1,335 for SUV/Van/Small Truck (4Runner, bZ4X, C-HR, Corolla Cross, Corolla Cross HEV, Highlander, Highlander HV, RAV4, RAV4 HV, RAV4 Prime, Sienna, Tacoma, Venza), $1,595 for Large SUV (Sequoia), and $1,795 for Large Truck (Tundra). (Historically, vehicle manufacturers and distributors have charged a separate fee for processing, handling and delivering vehicles to dealerships. Toyota’s charge for these services is called the “Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee” and is based on the value of the processing, handling and delivery services Toyota provides as well as Toyota’s overall pricing structure and may be subject to change at any time. Toyota may make a profit on the Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee.) Excludes taxes, license, title and available or regionally required equipment. The Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee in AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC and TX will be higher. The published prices do not apply to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Actual dealer price will vary.
**2023 EPA-estimated mileage. Actual mileage will vary.