2020 Toyota 4Runner Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $37,140 MSRP*
- 4.0-Liter DOHC 24-Valve V6 with Dual Independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) (270 horsepower / 278 lb-ft of torque)
- Optional part-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
- Audio with eight speakers, Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Available perforated leather-trimmed heated and ventilated power front seats
- 50/50 split fold-flat third-row seat and sliding second row with passenger-side one-touch access to third-row seat
- Optional Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), Multi-terrain Select, and Crawl Control (CRAWL)
- Available TRD Pro trim featuring TRD FOX® high-performance shocks with rear remote reservoirs
About the Toyota 4Runner
Legendary 4X4 off-road capability, rugged body-on-frame construction, and proven V6 engine performance combine to produce a ride that’s tough enough for the trails yet smooth enough for the city. The iconic Toyota 4Runner helps you carry your biggest toys along for your weekend adventure with a 5,000-pound maximum towing capacity (when properly equipped).
Helping your crew reach the campsite in total comfort and style, the interior of the 4Runner is both spacious and well-appointed. Since every journey has its own unique demands, an optional sliding rear cargo deck gives you quick access to your gear. You’ll be able to bring tech to every outing with the optional Premium Audio with Dynamic Navigation featuring JBL® Audio with Clari-Fi technology. Whether you’re headed downtown or across the country, you can trust the Toyota 4Runner to tackle any obstacle that stands between you and a memorable weekend.
What the Critics Say
What’s New for 2020
The biggest updates to the Toyota 4Runner for the 2020 model year come in the form of technology changes. Now included as standard on every Toyota 4Runner is Toyota’s Safety Sense P (TSS P), a collection of innovative driver-assist technologies. All models also get a revised entertainment system which includes a larger 8-inch display screen along with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility. Other updates include two rear USB ports included as standard on all trims while SR5 and TRD trim levels receiving a smart key system. Finally, TRD Pro models are now offered with four new exterior paint choices.
Toyota 4Runner Features
Every trim level of the Toyota 4Runner features its own distinctive look. TRD Off-Road trims stand out with unique features including 17-inch 7-spoke alloy wheels with black painted inserts and TRD badging on the exterior. Perfect for drivers craving additional refinement, 4Runner Limited models feature exclusive front fascia, chrome door handles and front grille, and stylish 20-inch split 6-spoke alloy wheels. Complementing the rugged design of the 4Runner, Projector-beam headlights and LED taillights add a touch of style while giving you superior visibility. On all 4X4 models, skid plates help protect the engine/front suspension, fuel tank, and transfer case from damage when traveling across rough terrain.
Even the most inhospitable terrain is no match for the Toyota 4Runner. An approach angle of 33 degrees, a departure angle of 26 degrees, and a massive 9.6 inches of ground clearance on the 4Runner TRD Off-Road means that you’ll always be prepared for whatever obstacle stands in your way. Available Multi-terrain Select lets you choose from four individual modes which can regulate wheelspin and brake pressure for maximized traction in all sorts of off-road situations. The optional Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) and Crawl Control (CRAWL) give you improved stability in low-speed, technical maneuvers on the trails.
Although the 4Runner offers a commanding exterior appearance, the interior is packed with exceptional refinement with features like optional SofTex® or perforated leather seating. 40/20/40 fold-flat second-row seats help create up to 88.8 cubic feet of storage space or to help you carry a mix of cargo and passengers. A class-exclusive feature, the power rear window of the 4Runner lowers for quick access to the cargo area or to help bring fresh air into the cabin. Conveniently located in the cargo area, a 120V AC power outlet lets you keep all of your electronic devices charged up. The 4Runner also includes an intuitive and user-friendly instrument panel design which places controls and gauges right at your fingertips.
With the available Smart Key in your pocket or purse, the interior of the Toyota 4Runner Limited automatically illuminates, the doors and rear liftgate open with the touch of a handle, and the engine stands with the press of a button. Since every trip should have the soundtrack to match it, the available 15-Speaker JBL® Audio System lets you enjoy your favorite tunes with outstanding clarity and depth. Optional Dynamic Navigation ensures that you’ll always arrive at destination safely and on time. All Toyota 4Runner models come standard with Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility to let you access your favorite apps and media with your compatible smartphone.
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $37,140 MSRP*
- 4.0-Liter DOHC 24-Valve V6 with 270 horsepower / 278 lb-ft of torque
- Rear-Wheel Drive or part-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
- Backup camera with projected path
- Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Downhill Assist Control (DAC) (4×4 models only) and Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Starting at $40,335 MSRP*
- SofTex®-trimmed power-adjustable heated front seats
- Optional power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade
- Heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators
- Available sliding rear cargo deck with under-floor storage box
- HomeLink® universal transceiver
- Starting at $40,860 MSRP*
- Part-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), Multi-terrain Select and Crawl Control (CRAWL)
- 17-inch 7-spoke alloy wheels with P265/70R17 tires and black-painted accents
- TRD shift knob and TRD Off-Road floor mats
- Color-keyed front and rear bumpers with silver accents and color-keyed hood scoop
TRD Off-Road Premium
- Starting at $43,590 MSRP*
- “TRD” red lettering on driver and front passenger headrests
- SofTex®-trimmed 40/20/40 split reclining and fold-flat second-row seat
- Optional Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS)
- Heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
Venture Special Edition
- Starting at $45,405 MSRP*
- Roof rails with cross bars and Yakima® MegaWarrior cargo basket
- Blacked-out Toyota emblems, outer door handles, and side mirror
- Black rear spoiler with LED center high-mount stop light
- 17-inch dark gray metallic alloy wheels
- All-weather floor liners
- Starting at $46,005 MSRP*
- X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension
- 20-inch split 6-spoke alloy wheels
- Perforated leather-trimmed heated and ventilated front seats
- Smart Key System with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry
- Front and rear parking assist sonar
Limited Nightshade Special Edition
- Starting at $47,745 MSRP*
- Black exterior accents: heated mirrors with turn signal indicators, roof rails, external badging, side rocker panels, and door handles
- Black interior accents
- 20-inch black split 6-spoke wheels
- Black badge overlays
- Starting at $50,885 MSRP*
- TRD Bilstein® high-performance shocks with rear remote reservoirs
- TRD-tuned front springs and locking rear differential
- Black “TRD PRO” external hard badges and unique “TOYOTA” front grille
- TRD-stamped aluminum front skid plate
- TRD 17-inch matte-black alloy wheels
*MSRP includes the Delivery, Processing, and Handling Fee of $955 for Cars (86, Avalon, Avalon HV, Camry, Camry HV, Corolla, Corolla HV, Corolla HB, Mirai, Prius, Prius Prime, Supra, Yaris HB, Yaris Sedan), $1,120 for Small/Medium Trucks, SUVs and Van (4Runner, C-HR, Highlander, Highlander HV, RAV4, RAV4 HV, Sienna, Tacoma), $1,325 for Large SUVs (Land Cruiser, Sequoia), and $1,595 for Large Truck (Tundra). (Historically, vehicle manufacturers and distributors have charged a separate fee for processing, handling and delivering vehicles to dealerships. Toyota’s charge for these services is called the “Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee” and is based on the value of the processing, handling and delivery services Toyota provides as well as Toyota’s overall pricing structure. Toyota may make a profit on the Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee.) Excludes taxes, license, title and available or regionally related equipment. The Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee in AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, and TX will be higher. The published prices do not apply to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Actual dealer price will vary.
**2020 EPA-estimated mileage. Actual mileage will vary.