2019 Toyota Highlander Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $32,375 MSRP*
- Your choice of a standard 2.7-Liter 4-Cylinder engine (185-horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque) or an available 3.5-Liter V6 engine (295-horsepower and 263 lb-ft of torque)
- Second and third-row 60/40 split, sliding and reclining fold-flat seating
- Available perforated heated and ventilated leather-trimmed front seats with memory function on driver’s seat
- Optional Entune™ Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and 8-inch touch screen display
- Standard Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P)
- Standard 18-inch split 5-spoke machined alloy wheels
- Optional rear-seat Blu-ray Disc™ entertainment system
About the Toyota Highlander
Experience your next adventure behind the wheel of the capable Toyota Highlander with its striking exterior styling, spacious yet comfortable interior, and smart everyday versatility. With six available trim levels of the Highlander to choose from, there’s sure to be one which perfectly matches your lifestyle and personality. Buyers can choose from an economical 2.7-Liter 4-Cylinder engine to maximize MPG or opt for the optional 3.5-Liter V6 for additional capability and potent performance. Thanks to a massive towing capacity of 5,000 pounds, the Highlander gives you the ability to bring even your largest toys along for your next weekend trip. Luxurious amenities available inside the interior of the Highlander help create a relaxing environment for both drivers and passengers. Stay out of harm’s way with standard Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P), a suite of advanced driver assistive technologies which help inspire confidence.
What the Critics Say
Toyota Highlander Features
Performance & Capability
For those living active lifestyles, the Toyota Highlander has the efficiency and powerful performance to take you even further. Choose between a standard 2.7-Liter 4-Cylinder engine or opt for the optional 3.5-Liter V6 for greater capability. An economical Stop and Start Engine System on V6 Highlander models helps improve your fuel economy in crowded city driving situations. Available Dynamic Torque-Control All-Wheel Drive is able to direct power from front to rear while managing the vehicle’s braking system for improved confidence and greater stability when road conditions turn slippery. A maximum towing capacity of 5,000 pounds (when properly equipped) makes the Toyota Highlander a perfect companion when loading up cargo for your next vacation.
Luxurious Yet Versatile Interior
Rivaling luxury SUVs, the interior of the Toyota Highlander delivers outstanding refinement from acoustic-type glass and silencing insulation materials which help mitigate road noise. With seating for up to 8 passengers, the Highlander has the space and amenities to keep the whole crew entertained throughout the journey. Even on those long stretches of highway, an optional rear-seat Blu-ray Disc™ entertainment system and a total of 5 USB ports provide the perfect solution for eliminating boredom. Thanks to a 60/40 split folding third row seat, you can easily accommodate cargo, passengers, or a mix of both. Open the optional panoramic sunroof to fill the cabin of the Toyota Highlander with natural light and fresh air.
Connected technology features found on the Toyota Highlander help make each drive more engaging, regardless of your destination. Integrated navigation helps you arrive at your destination on-time with the optional Entune™ Multimedia Bundle. A selection of your favorite apps along with SiriusXM® Satellite Radio gives you endless entertainment options in the Highlander. The available Driver Easy Speak feature uses an integrated microphone which transmits your voice over the speakers to rear-seat occupants, helping to make communication both safer and simpler. Maneuver in or out of a tight space effortlessly with the available Bird’s Eye View Camera with Perimeter Scan for greater confidence. Everyone can stay comfortable inside the Highlander thanks to optional three-zone automatic climate control system.
Standard Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P) found on every Toyota Highlander helps you stay safe from the unexpected. Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist detects lane departure and can make small corrective steering adjustments to help guide you safely back into your lane. Automatic High Beams are engineered to help you see more clearly at night without blinding other drivers. The Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection can help you mitigate or even avoid a potential collision. In addition to other available safety technologies offered on the Toyota Highlander, it comes as no surprise that the Highlander earned a 2018 Top Safety Pick Award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)**.
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $32,375 MSRP*
- 2.7-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC engine with 185 horsepower
- Standard Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P)
- Integrated backup camera with projected path
- LED taillights and stop lights
- 18-inch split 5-spoke machined alloy wheels
Highlander LE Plus
- Starting at $37,305 MSRP*
- Height-Adjustable Power Liftgate and Flip-Up Rear Hatch
- SofTex®-Trimmed Seats
- Three-Zone Automatic Climate Control
- Entune™ Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App
- Integrated fog lights
- Starting at $40,265 MSRP*
- Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade and jam protection
- Smart Key System and Liftgate with Push-Button Start
- Leather-trimmed seating surfaces
- Chromtec® roof rails
- Driver Easy Speak — driver voice amplification
- Starting at $41,485 MSRP*
- 3.5-Liter DOHC V6 engine with 295 horsepower
- Projector-beam halogen dark-black-accent headlights w/LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Sport-tuned suspension
- 19-inch multi-spoke machined alloy wheels with black finish
- Black leather-trimmed seats with unique ribbon inserts and red stitching
- Starting at $43,475 MSRP*
- Entune™ Premium JBL® Audio with Integrated Navigation, Entune® App Suite, and 8-inch high-resolution touch-screen display
- Heated/Ventilated front seats
- Rear parking assist sonar
- 19-inch 5-spoke Chromtec® alloy wheels
- Color-keyed heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators and puddle lights
*MSRP includes the Delivery, Processing, and Handling Fee of $920 for Cars (Yaris, Yaris iA, 86, Corolla, Corolla HB, Camry, Camry HV, Prius LB, Prius c, Prius Prime, Mirai, Avalon, Avalon HV), $1,045 for Small/Medium Trucks, SUVs and Van (C-HR, RAV4, RAV4 HV, Highlander, Highlander HV, 4Runner, Sienna, Tacoma), $1,295 for Large SUVs (Sequoia, Land Cruiser), and $1,395 for Large Truck (Tundra). (Historically, vehicle manufacturers and distributors have charged a separate fee for processing, handling and delivering vehicles to dealerships. Toyota’s charge for these services is called the “Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee” and is based on the value of the processing, handling and delivery services Toyota provides as well as Toyota’s overall pricing structure. Toyota may make a profit on the Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee.) Excludes taxes, license, title and available or regionally related equipment. The Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee in AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, and TX will be higher. The published prices do not apply to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Actual dealer price will vary.
**To qualify for 2018 TOP SAFETY PICK, a vehicle must earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests. It also must earn an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention and an acceptable or good headlight rating.
***2019 EPA-estimated mileage. Actual mileage will vary.