2020 Toyota RAV4 Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $26,970 MSRP*
- Dynamic Force 2.5-liter I4 engine with VVT-iE mated to an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission with up to 28 city / 35 highway MPG**
- Standard 7-inch touch-screen, Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0
- Available Multi-Terrain Select and an Available Toyota-First, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect
- Optional 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with memory and 2-way lumbar support
- TNGA K Platform with Multi-Link Rear Suspension
- Available hands-free power liftgate
About the Toyota RAV4
As the best-selling non-pickup truck in the USA and the number-one selling vehicle in the Toyota lineup — it’s clear why the Toyota RAV4 has established its proven reputation for excellence. Now in its fifth generation, the 2020 Toyota RAV4 maintains high levels of finesse inside, along with the compact presence of a small SUV on the exterior. Riding on a new TNGA platform, the RAV4 is now wider and lower than the prior generation. The result of tireless efforts from Toyota engineers, the RAV4 has an advanced powertrain which delivers a confident yet natural driving experience. A collection of groundbreaking tech features, life-saving safety from Toyota Safety Sense 2.0, and bold style set the 2020 RAV4 apart from your typical small SUV.
What the Critics Say
What’s New for 2020
Following a complete redesign last year, the Toyota RAV4 returns with some exciting updates for the 2020 model year. A new RAV4 TRD trim level is now available with unique 18-inch wheels, all-terrain tires, a TRD Off-Road suspension kit, and a collection of TRD-exclusive elements found on both the interior and exterior. XLE trims now include power seat adjustments for the front passenger seat. Lastly, top-trim Limited grades now come standard with a premium JBL audio system.
Toyota RAV4 Features
No matter if it’s a short trip across town, a weekend getaway to the beach, or a short jaunt on the trails — the Toyota RAV4 offers bold styling to help you make a memorable first impression. From its strong nose at the front, chiseled side profile lines cascade across robust shoulders to the pronounced wheel arches which accent its available 19-inch wheels. An extended wheelbase along with wider front and rear tracks help make the RAV4 an ideal choice for drivers searching for impressive off-road capabilities. Helping to increase forward visibility around the A-pillar, its side mirrors have been repositioned to sit lower on the door. While ground clearance has increased by more than half an inch to help you conquer rugged terrain, the Toyota RAV4 is still able to improve on the aerodynamics of the outgoing model.
Capability & Performance
In terms of performance, the RAV4 is powered by a Dynamic Force 2.5-Liter Inline 4-Cylinder with VVT-iE paired with an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission. This sophisticated powertrain limits energy losses through the use of high-speed combustion technology and a variable control system, giving you a fuel-efficient yet responsive driving experience. Representing a first for Toyota, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect gives the driver the ability to steer the RAV4 as intended — even across the roughest terrain. This technology can send 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels or direct it from side-to-side to give you uncompromised handling and control. Maximize traction when driving through sand, rocks, snow, or mud by using the optional Multi-Terrain Select system.
Crafted with refinement as the main priority, the interior layout of the Toyota RAV4 is centered around comfort. Its ergonomic layout, modern design, and usage of premium materials make the cabin the perfect place to relax and unwind. All 2020 RAV4 models come standard with hands-free access to Amazon Alexa, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay compatibility. Available with an optional Qi wireless charging tray and up to five USB ports, the RAV4 allows you to stay connected no matter how far the adventure takes you. An all-new JBL audio system transforms your favorite music with enhanced system architecture, new speaker design, and an improved tuning process.
Next Generation Safety Technology
Remaining an industry leader when it comes to safety, the RAV4 includes standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. New active safety technologies and capabilities included in this updated safety package help enhance your confidence behind the wheel. Contained in this updated safety package are new active-safety technologies and capabilities which enhance your driving confidence. Standard technologies include Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA), and Automatic High Beam (AHB). Making their debut on the RAV4 are Lane Tracing Assistant (LTA) and Road Sign Assist (RSA). Eight standard airbags and the Toyota Star Safety System prove that no other vehicle prioritizes your safety and security quite like the Toyota RAV4.
Toyota RAV4 vs Honda CR-V vs Nissan Rogue
Curious how the RAV4 stacks up against the competition? Below you’ll discover how the RAV4 outperforms the Nissan Rogue and Honda CR-V in terms of efficiency, power, technology, and safety. You’ll quickly understand why more and more drivers are choosing the Toyota RAV4.
|2020 Toyota RAV4 Limited FWD||VS||2020 Nissan Rogue SL FWD||2020 Honda CR-V Touring 2WD|
|$34,380||MSRP (excluding destination)||$31,590||$33,250|
|477 miles||Vehicle Range||421 miles||420 miles|
|Standard||Steering Driver Mode||Not Available||Not Available|
|Standard||Driver Knee Airbags||Not Available||Not Available|
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $26,970 MSRP*
- 2.5-Liter Dynamic Force 4-Cylinder engine with 203 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque
- Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0)
- Available All-Wheel Drive (AWD) with Multi-terrain Select
- Integrated Backup Camera with Projected Path
- Multi-LED Headlights with Automatic High Beams (AHB)
- Starting at $28,268 MSRP*
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Smart Key System on front doors and liftgate
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system with rear-seat vents
- 17-inch 5-Spoke Silver Alloy Wheels
- Dual Chrome Exhaust Tips
RAV4 XLE Premium
- Starting at $30,970 MSRP*
- SofTex®-Trimmed Front Bucket Seats
- 19-Inch Multi-Spoke Super Chrome-Finished Alloy Wheels
- Power tilt/slide moonroof with one-touch open/close
- 7-inch touch-screen, Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Height-adjustable power liftgate with jam protection
- Starting at $34,075 MSRP*
- SofTex®-trimmed front bucket seats with orange accents and stitching, embossed seat inserts
- Smart Key System on front doors and liftgate with Push Button Start
- Unique Adventure grade roof rails
- Black RAV4 and Adventure badging
- 19-inch split five-spoke alloy wheels with matte-black accents
- Starting at $35,500 MSRP*
- Premium JBL Audio with Dynamic Navigation
- Digital Rearview Mirror with HomeLink® universal transceiver
- Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS) with Rear Cross-Traffic Braking (RCTB)
- Available Heated leather-trimmed three-spoke steering wheel
- Variable intermittent windshield wipers
- Starting at $36,300 MSRP*
- Black RAV4 and TRD Off-Road badging
- 18-inch six-spoke matte-black TRD flow-formed alloy wheels
- SofTex®-trimmed seats with red stitching, embossed seat inserts, and TRD stitching in headrests
- TRD-tuned independent MacPherson strut front suspension with stabilizer bar
- TRD all-weather floor mats and cargo liner
*MSRP includes the Delivery, Processing, and Handling Fee of $955 for Cars (86, Avalon, Avalon HV, Camry, Camry HV, Corolla, Corolla HV, Corolla HB, Mirai, Prius, Prius Prime, Supra, Yaris HB, Yaris Sedan), $1,120 for Small/Medium Trucks, SUVs and Van (4Runner, C-HR, Highlander, Highlander HV, RAV4, RAV4 HV, Sienna, Tacoma), $1,325 for Large SUVs (Land Cruiser, Sequoia), and $1,595 for Large Truck (Tundra). (Historically, vehicle manufacturers and distributors have charged a separate fee for processing, handling and delivering vehicles to dealerships. Toyota’s charge for these services is called the “Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee” and is based on the value of the processing, handling and delivery services Toyota provides as well as Toyota’s overall pricing structure. Toyota may make a profit on the Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee.) Excludes taxes, license, title and available or regionally related equipment. The Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee in AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, and TX will be higher. The published prices do not apply to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Actual dealer price will vary.
**2020 EPA-estimated mileage. Actual mileage will vary.