2021 Toyota RAV4 Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $27,225 MSRP*
- Dynamic Force 2.5-liter I4 engine with VVT-iE mated to an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission with up to 28 city / 35 highway MPG**
- Standard 7-inch touch-screen, Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0
- Available Multi-Terrain Select and an Available Toyota-First, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect
- Optional 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with memory and 2-way lumbar support
- TNGA K Platform with Multi-Link Rear Suspension
- Available hands-free power liftgate
About the Toyota RAV4
As the best-selling non-pickup truck in the USA and the number-one selling vehicle in the Toyota lineup — it’s clear why the Toyota RAV4 has established its proven reputation for excellence. Now in its fifth generation, the Toyota RAV4 maintains high levels of finesse inside, along with the compact presence of a small SUV on the exterior. Riding on a new TNGA platform, the RAV4 is now wider and lower than the prior generation. The result of tireless efforts from Toyota engineers, the RAV4 has an advanced powertrain which delivers a confident yet natural driving experience. A collection of groundbreaking tech features, life-saving safety from Toyota Safety Sense 2.0, and bold style set the RAV4 apart from your typical small SUV.
What the Critics Say
What’s New for 2021
Already a leader in its segment, the Toyota RAV4 is back for 2021 essentially unchanged from last year. Aside from slight pricing adjustments, the sole update for the 2021 RAV4 is the replacement of Super White with a new Blizzard Pearl color choice for the exterior. Shoppers searching for the ultimate compact SUV should look no further than the award-winning Toyota RAV4.
Toyota RAV4 Features
No matter if it’s a short trip across town, a weekend getaway to the beach, or a short jaunt on the trails — the Toyota RAV4 offers bold styling to help you make a memorable first impression. From its strong nose at the front, chiseled side profile lines cascade across robust shoulders to the pronounced wheel arches which accent its available 19-inch wheels. An extended wheelbase along with wider front and rear tracks help make the RAV4 an ideal choice for drivers searching for impressive off-road capabilities. Helping to increase forward visibility around the A-pillar, its side mirrors have been repositioned to sit lower on the door. While ground clearance has increased by more than half an inch to help you conquer rugged terrain, the Toyota RAV4 is still able to improve on the aerodynamics of the outgoing model.
Capability & Performance
In terms of performance, the RAV4 is powered by a Dynamic Force 2.5-Liter Inline 4-Cylinder with VVT-iE paired with an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission. This sophisticated powertrain limits energy losses through the use of high-speed combustion technology and a variable control system, giving you a fuel-efficient yet responsive driving experience. Representing a first for Toyota, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect gives the driver the ability to steer the RAV4 as intended — even across the roughest terrain. This technology can send 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels or direct it from side-to-side to give you uncompromised handling and control. Maximize traction when driving through sand, rocks, snow, or mud by using the optional Multi-Terrain Select system.
Crafted with refinement as the main priority, the interior layout of the Toyota RAV4 is centered around comfort. Its ergonomic layout, modern design, and usage of premium materials make the cabin the perfect place to relax and unwind. All RAV4 models come standard with hands-free access to Amazon Alexa, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay compatibility. Available with an optional Qi wireless charging tray and up to five USB ports, the RAV4 allows you to stay connected no matter how far the adventure takes you. An optional JBL audio system transforms your favorite music with enhanced system architecture, new speaker design, and an improved tuning process.
Next Generation Safety Technology
Remaining an industry leader when it comes to safety, the RAV4 includes standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. Active active safety technologies and capabilities included in this safety package help enhance your confidence behind the wheel. Standard technologies include Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA), and Automatic High Beam (AHB). Making their debut on the RAV4 are Lane Tracing Assistant (LTA) and Road Sign Assist (RSA). Eight standard airbags and the Toyota Star Safety System prove that no other vehicle prioritizes your safety and security quite like the Toyota RAV4.
Toyota RAV4 vs Honda CR-V vs Nissan Rogue
Curious how the RAV4 stacks up against the competition? Below you’ll discover how the RAV4 outperforms the Nissan Rogue and Honda CR-V in terms of efficiency, power, technology, and safety. You’ll quickly understand why more and more drivers are choosing the Toyota RAV4.
|2021 Toyota RAV4 Limited FWD||VS||2020 Nissan Rogue SL FWD||2020 Honda CR-V Touring 2WD|
|$35,755||MSRP (excluding destination)||$31,590||$33,250|
|477 miles||Vehicle Range||421 miles||420 miles|
|Standard||Steering Driver Mode||Not Available||Not Available|
|Standard||Driver Knee Airbags||Not Available||Not Available|
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $27,225 MSRP*
- 2.5-Liter Dynamic Force 4-Cylinder engine with 203 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque
- Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0)
- Available All-Wheel Drive (AWD) with Multi-terrain Select
- Integrated Backup Camera with Projected Path
- Multi-LED Headlights with Automatic High Beams (AHB)
- Starting at $28,250 MSRP*
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Smart Key System on front doors and liftgate
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system with rear-seat vents
- 17-inch 5-Spoke Silver Alloy Wheels
- Dual Chrome Exhaust Tips
RAV4 XLE Premium
- Starting at $31,225 MSRP*
- SofTex®-Trimmed Front Bucket Seats
- 19-Inch Multi-Spoke Super Chrome-Finished Alloy Wheels
- Power tilt/slide moonroof with one-touch open/close
- 7-inch touch-screen, Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
- Height-adjustable power liftgate with jam protection
- Starting at $34,330 MSRP*
- SofTex®-trimmed front bucket seats with orange accents and stitching, embossed seat inserts
- Smart Key System on front doors and liftgate with Push Button Start
- Unique Adventure grade roof rails
- Black RAV4 and Adventure badging
- 19-inch split five-spoke alloy wheels with matte-black accents
- Starting at $35,755 MSRP*
- Premium JBL Audio with Dynamic Navigation
- Digital Rearview Mirror with HomeLink® universal transceiver
- Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS) with Rear Cross-Traffic Braking (RCTB)
- Available Heated leather-trimmed three-spoke steering wheel
- Variable intermittent windshield wipers
RAV4 TRD Off-Road
- Starting at $36,955 MSRP*
- Black RAV4 and TRD Off-Road badging
- 18-inch six-spoke matte-black TRD flow-formed alloy wheels
- SofTex®-trimmed seats with red stitching, embossed seat inserts, and TRD stitching in headrests
- TRD-tuned independent MacPherson strut front suspension with stabilizer bar
- TRD all-weather floor mats and cargo liner
*MSRP includes the Delivery, Processing, and Handling Fee of $995 for Cars (86, Avalon, Avalon HV, Camry, Camry HV, Corolla, Corolla HV, Corolla HB, Mirai, Prius, Prius Prime, Supra), $1,175 for SUV/Van/Small Trucks (4Runner, C-HR, Highlander, Highlander HV, RAV4, RAV4 HV, RAV4 Prime, Sienna, Tacoma, Venza), $1,325 for Large SUVs (Land Cruiser, Sequoia), and $1,595 for Large Truck (Tundra). (Historically, vehicle manufacturers and distributors have charged a separate fee for processing, handling and delivering vehicles to dealerships. Toyota’s charge for these services is called the “Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee” and is based on the value of the processing, handling and delivery services Toyota provides as well as Toyota’s overall pricing structure. Toyota may make a profit on the Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee.) Excludes taxes, license, title and available or regionally related equipment. The Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee in AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, and TX will be higher. The published prices do not apply to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Actual dealer price will vary.
**2021 EPA-estimated mileage. Actual mileage will vary.